« back to Explaining Inception: an FAQ Guide
- » Did Cobb's totem topple at the end of the film?
- » Why did Robert Fischer not recognize the people on plane after he woke up?
- » Why did Mal seem surprised when she learned that Cobb performed an inception on her?
- » What happened at the beginning of the film?
- » What are the different dream levels for the final mission?
- » How did Cobb go into the limbo to find Saito?
» Explaining Inception: an FAQ Guide
When the mission begins, why does Cobb see the train and his children in the first and second level? Yusuf and Arthur are the dreamers, and both, the train and the children, are projections from Cobb, aren't they? Why does Cobb see them?
That might be because the whole film is actually Cobb's dream as one of the theories says.
Other dreamer's projections can also populate the dreams. It is Cobb's subconscious angst and guilt pushing through. It is the same reason Mal appears in other people's dreams, and why it is dangerous to have Cobb on the inception mission, as Ariadne recognizes.