« back to Explaining Inception: an FAQ Guide
- » Did Cobb's totem topple at the end of the film?
- » Why did Robert Fischer not recognize the people on plane after he woke up?
- » Why did Mal seem surprised when she learned that Cobb performed an inception on her?
- » What happened at the beginning of the film?
- » What are the different dream levels for the final mission?
- » How did Cobb go into the limbo to find Saito?
» Explaining Inception: an FAQ Guide
What would happen if Cobb and Saito had remained lost in limbo and their sedative had worn off and the plane had landed in LA? What state would Cobb and Saito be in upon the plane landing? And why?
According to what Cobb said to Ariadne in Yusef's dream, if the plane lands and Cobb and Saito wake up normally (with the sedative wearing off), time dilation compounded layer upon layer would mean that they have spent approximately 180 years in limbo corresponding to the original 10 hours on the flight, and that their brains would be "fried" because of how long you stayed alive (neural/muscular degeneration; mentally, anyway).
As for the first part of the question, if the sedative had worn off, they would simply wake up in the real world, have spent the entirety of the 180 years in limbo.