« back to Explaining Inception: an FAQ Guide
- » Did Cobb's totem topple at the end of the film?
- » Why did Robert Fischer not recognize the people on plane after he woke up?
- » Why did Mal seem surprised when she learned that Cobb performed an inception on her?
- » What happened at the beginning of the film?
- » What are the different dream levels for the final mission?
- » How did Cobb go into the limbo to find Saito?
» Explaining Inception: an FAQ Guide
How was Saito saved?
Cobb died, went into Limbo, struggled to remember why he was there, was reminded when Saito showed him the spinning top, used the memory it also triggered in Saito to persuade him to join him as a younger man (i.e. return to reality ... or at least to a different dream level).
We never see the gun used, but the presumption is that Saito shot Cobb, then himself. Because both men recognised the unreality of Limbo, they were able to pass out of it without losing their minds.
There is also the possibility that he wasn't saved, that Cobb and Saito just entered another dream level, and not reality proper.
Edit: Cobb didnt die. He was already in limbo along with Ariadne and Fischer. Everything else is correct.